With our associate Derek Stewart we run training courses for researchers about involvement in health research. Recent clients have included:
- The Centre for Reviews and Dissemination
- NIHR Clinical Research Network
- NIHR Trainees’ Coordinating Centre
- University College London
- The Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Facility in Edinburgh
These practical, interactive courses are extremely well received by participants and the organisations that commission them.
For the past five years Bec has run annual training sessions about involvement for researchers in Australia.
We have also run training for service users and members of the public about research, for example for Patient Liaison Group members at the Royal College of Anaesthetists.
Learning sets and shared learning groups
We set up and continue to provide facilitation for the User Involvement in Voluntary Organisations Shared Learning Group, which aims to encourage shared learning about user and/or carer involvement between medium and large voluntary sector organisations working within the UK. Members exchange views and experiences in order to develop their practice and ultimately to benefit the service users and carers with whom they work.
We ran a learning set for member organisations of the Association of Medical Research Charities (AMRC). This focussed on how to develop and support PPI in the prioritising, commissioning and management of research supported by the charities.
One off workshops and events
We have planned and facilitated workshops and events for a range of organisations on specific issues. These have included:
- World Café events for members of the public to inform the development of a plan for the regeneration of Shoreham Harbour in Sussex.
- Two workshops for the UK Clinical Research Collaboration to inform the development of a PPI strategy, and one to launch a project to support PPI at a strategic level.
- A workshop for INVOLVE to inform the development of guidance for patients and members of the public who want to get involved in research.
- A workshop for South London Comprehensive Local Research Network to inform the development of PPI.
- A workshop for Macmillan Cancer Support to inform the development of the Cancer Reform Strategy.
Support for user involvement staff
We provide ongoing one-to-one support to staff in a range of national voluntary organisations. This has included support to set up service user and carer advisory groups, user involvement strategies and training for staff and service users/carers.